Monday, March 15, 2010

Excuse the 13 Year Old Girl Break...


I get just a little bit of crap for this, but oh well. Shortly after the New Kids on the Block reunion, I blogged a bit about my experience. Needless to say it did not go over well. Being the spineless and insecure person that I am, I took those posts down. The following is not meant as a defense, because I am way beyond needing to defend myself anymore. The following is more of an explanation.

The world is kind of a scary place right now. Earthquakes, wars, economic crises, statists trying to take over one third of the country's economy and change the face of our country forever. (More on that down the road I am sure.) Even my own personal life as a thirty something mom of four gets hectic and trying at times. It kind of feels like I am giving everything to everyone and leaving nothing for myself. I have a little one who literally depends on my body for her very sustenance. That's a lot of pressure! Cue gorgeous boy band reunion.

What would you give to feel carefree and a little irresponsible once in awhile? As long as it isn't hurting anyone? I look at it this way. I am not addicted to methamphetamines whilst trying to present a perfect picture for the outside world to see. I am not seeking extra marital sex with strangers or other women's husbands. I am not drinking myself stupid during the day simply so I can make it through one more day of catering to my husband and children. I am simply seeking some mindless tunes, something to sing along to, a little bit of indulgent pleasure, all wrapped up in a gorgeous (blue-eyed) package.

What have YOU done lately to relieve a little stress? Hit a little ball around a vast course trying to get it into a microscopic hole? Played mindless bloody, gory video games? Trolled a bar for casual sex? Watched a trashy reality show?

The point is, everyone has their distractions, each one is as useless as the next. This one is not hurting anyone. Leave it alone. And just because it originally appealed to tween to teen girls does not make it automatically illegitimate and stupid. It gives me joy, makes me happy, serves as a release, and spreads love. It WASN'T stupid back then, and it's not stupid now. Some of you get this. And if you don't, well, maybe I am just not interested in what you have to say about it.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! It's FUN and what's so wrong with doing something that makes you HAPPY?!?!

    I'm constantly amazed at how HAPPY those 5 guys make me. :)

    ReplyDelete